Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Why blog?

As I start this blog, I am doing so to help me grow as a teacher.  Why?  There are a few reasons really.  First, because I have learned that other teachers are the golden key to success.  I have always been one to share information and new ideas.  I have taught for 7 years now, and each year has been different.  New students, new team members, new curriculum, new ideas, etc.  The saying "beg, borrow, and steal" is very accurate with teachers!  I love to get new ideas from other teachers.  It's great that I was sharing with teachers on my campus, in my district, and in my friend circle, but then I started the Summer Learning Series with Todd Nesloney.  (If you haven't heard of this, check it out at http://summerls2014.blogspot.com/ or the newest set of challenges called Educator Learning Series at http://educatorlearningseries.blogspot.com/)  Todd and I went to Elementary school together until 4th grade.  Now, Todd is leading the nation with his ideas in Education!  He has inspired me to do more.  Think globally!  I participated in his Summer Learning Series last summer.  I was encouraged then to start my blog.  I even created my account.  But, I still didn't know what I wanted to say.  I began connecting with educators through Twitter and realized that I love that other educators put themselves out there to share the amazing things happening in their classrooms.  Amazing things are happening in my classroom too, so I need to do my part and share too.  I still have TONS to learn, but maybe you can learn from a few of my mistakes or "aha" moments.  It may have taken me a whole year to finally take the plunge and publish my first post, but I am taking the next step in creating a network of peers to help each other all be the best educators we can be. I will use this blog to share my knowledge and the new knowledge that I gain from others.

The second reason is for reflection.  I always take the time to think about the activities I do with my students.  Did it go well?  What worked or didn't work well?  Was it successful?  But, blogging will give me another way to reflect.  One with more time and thought.  And, it will be a way to document and look back over time to see what has changed.  I don't want to ever be the teacher that isn't constantly learning and changing with her students.

The final reason was in a tweet I read this week.  It said something about teacher's should be required to blog before asking their students to do it.  I have introduced my students to KidBlog and I love it!  They love it even more! They want to "blog" me.  (Which really means they want to post a blog and they want me to read it and comment back)  Getting students excited to write is awesome!  But, I myself have never blogged, and I love to write!  I need to lead by example and practice what I preach.  So, here goes - my first blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment